Shadow Bats are flying shadow enemies in Drawn to Life. They are very common enemies within the first game, appearing in the first levels within the Snow Gate. Despite this, Shadow Bats generally (except for in the City Gate) require tainted land to spawn.
Shadow Bats will usually remain idle, hanging from a platform until the Hero comes within a radius of them. Once the player is close enough, the Shadow Bat will notice them and fly down to start pursuing the Hero to damage them. Despite requiring only one attack to defeat, their sporadic flying movement may make them difficult to attack, especially in narrow areas, which also happens to be where they are often found. They can be defeated before being woken up if the player uses combos, or a shooter correctly.
Being composed of Shadow, Shadow Bats are black/grey. In addition, like all other Shadow creatures, Shadow Bats emanate Shadow which slowly dissipates into the air. They have two white eyes, which stay open at all times except in their "idle" animation.
- A glitch can occur where the Shadow Bat's sprite remains still and does not move.
- Shadow Bats are only seen in the tainted land, much like how Shadow Walkers require pools of Shadow to spawn.
- Their palette consists of only three colors.
- They are one of the only enemies in the game to have a movement noise; whilst flying, they squeak and you can hear their wings flapping. This is useful to alert the player if any are pursuing them.
- Shadow Bats are one of the only enemies to fly and have contact damage, rather than a ranged attack.
- They also appear in the Wii version, in which some of them can be giant.